Why lawn mowing?
Inhibit the growth period of turfgrass: If the lawn blooms, the ornamental quality will be weakened. Through proper pruning, the inflorescence is removed.
Prolong the green period of the lawn: mowing the lawn before and after winter can prolong the green period of warm grass; mowing the lawn in summer can enhance the ability of cool-season lawns to survive summer.
Reduce and inhibit the occurrence of diseases, insects and weeds: After lawn mowing, the height is moderate, which can improve the density and aeration of the lawn, reduce the occurrence of diseases and insect pests, and effectively inhibit the weeds with higher growth points.
Guarantee the nutrient demand of lawn grass regeneration after trimming: the roots of lawn grass and the stubble after trimming have the function of storing and absorbing nutrients, ensuring the demand for nutrients of lawn after trimming. The lawn has been trimmed for many times, and its elasticity is enhanced. After stepping on the lawn, it not only makes people feel elastic, but also increases the wear resistance of the lawn.
Today, Creative Landscape will teach you a few lawn mowing tips:
1. The suitable stubble height of turfgrass should be determined according to the physiological and morphological characteristics and purpose of use of turfgrass, and the principle of not affecting the normal growth and function of turfgrass. Generally, the stubble height of turfgrass is 4 cm to 5 cm, and the stubble should be higher for partially shaded and severely damaged lawns. The first pruning of newly planted grass generally leaves 6 cm to 7 cm of stubble.
2. The grass clippings that have been trimmed must be cleaned up in time, especially when the humidity is slightly high. Because the remaining grass clippings are conducive to the growth of weeds, it is easy to cause the infection and prevalence of pests and diseases, and it is also easy to block the ventilation of the lawn and cause the lawn to degrade prematurely.
3. In summer with suitable temperature and abundant rainfall, cool-season turfgrass needs to be mowed twice a week, and warm-season turfgrass needs to be mowed frequently. In other seasons, when the temperature is lower and the grass grows more slowly, the cool-season grass can be mowed once a week, while the warm-season grass should be trimmed more days apart.
4. Pruning should be carried out after the dew subsides. Usually, it is not advisable to water in the afternoon before pruning. After pruning, it should be watered at intervals of 2 to 3 hours to prevent the spread of diseases.
5. For the same lawn, each trimming should be avoided in the same direction, and the direction should be changed. Avoid repeated mowing in the same direction in the same place, otherwise the lawn grass will become thin, unbalanced and gradually degraded.
6. Pruning must follow the "1/3" principle (cut off 1/3 of the natural height of the grass). If the lawn grows too high due to poor management, it should be gradually mowed to the stubble height, not to the standard height at one time, otherwise it will cause too much loss of the photosynthetic tube of the lawn and weaken the photosynthetic capacity. At the same time, the nutrients stored above and below the ground will be lost too much, causing the lawn to yellow, weaken or even die.